December 28, 2012

Sneaking a Peek at Twenty Thirteen

I must say, Christmas at the Jii home this year was terrific! I couldn't be more happy or content. My time off from work has really been fun. The kids and I have been playing with new games and toys, building model airplanes, creating light catchers for the windows, and doing paint-by-numbers scenes. I'm hoping to go out to the movies to see either "Les Miserable" or "The Hobbit" (or perhaps both) before I have to report back to the job site next Wednesday. I've also begun the process of de-Santa-fying the house and giving the place a thorough cleaning. Most of the Christmas decorations are already packed away, except for the outside stuff which I'll take down in due time. Of course, big cleaning projects always seem to blow up at first and I can never believe how much junk I can uncover. In the corner of my studio sits a box that holds all of the lighting and wiring that I use for the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre. Around that, a hodgepodge of items has started to accumulate into a messy pile. I really need to de-clutter the area. I don't like the idea of having my musical instruments hanging in a catch-all room. The yearly cleaning is a big undertaking to be sure, but I always feel so refreshed when it's done. 


Which brings me to my next topic: 2013's New Year's Resolution! If you recall last December, the only thing that I resolved to do in 2012 was to get the Avant Garden up and running. With the exception of not yet knowing where to store the lighting supplies during the off-season, that project has been a great success and I'm looking forward to more poetic fun in Season II. For 2013, I want to set aside some time for working on new music. I have several tunes in mind that I can hardly wait to record. My favorite gift that I received this Christmas is a Meinl Cajon and I want to put it to good use. I've also been kicking around ideas for the writing of a new stage production and the possible forming of a tribute band. Both look promising. Yes, my 2013 New Year's Resolution will be all about the music...


The days between Christmas and New Year's Day are also the time when I start thinking about plans for a summer vacation. This coming August, my family and I will probably be flying to Guyana again for a longer stay. We've been invited to a wedding and I'm very excited by the idea. I've heard that Indian weddings are fantastic, all-week affairs. Also, if the proper paperwork can be secured by then, I'll be bringing one of my nieces back to the United States on a 6-month visa. She would be here with us through the all of the holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year. That would be wonderful. We'll see. Cheers!


"Do not deceive yourselves.
If any of you think you are wise by the standards
of this age, you should become 'fools' so that you may
become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness
in God’s sight. As it is written: 'He catches the wise
in their craftiness'; and again, 'The Lord knows
that the thoughts of the wise are futile.'"

~1 Corinthians 3:18-20

~@~