January 4, 2013

Inventory & Repertoire

At the end of every December, I like to give my house a good cleaning. I think it's a good idea to start off a new year in a fresh environment. This time around, I have taken on the task in great depth. For the past several days, I've made a point of looking at all of the items that I own and giving each one a stringent evaluation -- keep or don't keep. I've dug into nooks and crannies of the house that wouldn't normally see any traffic, such as the boiler room. I've gone through toolboxes and junk drawers and cabinets full of paperwork, removing bags and bags of stuff and recycling all that I can. Even things that are still technically functional aren't exempt. If I don't use it and it's just taking up space, I don't need to keep it. Someone described what I am doing as a taking of "inventory" and I kinda like the sound of that. It makes things simpler. I must say, it's a wonderful feeling to be free from so much useless clutter and the rearranging of the open area has introduced me to new ways of doing things that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise. I've also uncovered a few things that had been misplaced like my Backgammon board (it's a nice, plush one with stone pieces that look like caramel). At this point, I'm about half finished with the house. Next room, the kitchen.


Other than that, I've started learning some new material and getting myself ready for a poetry show that I'll be giving in mid-February at the Conklin Barn in Huntington. It has been a while since I've performed and I'm looking forward to returning to the poetic stage. Hopefully, I'll be able to deliver a good set with a few surprises. Wishing you a melodious weekend. Love & light...

"The Lord is my strength and my shield;
in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to him."

~Psalm 28:7

~@~