February 23, 2013

All the World's Indeed a Stage

Well, I've finally enrolled myself in a weekly acting class with the Bare Bones Theater Company which will begin on Monday evening. While I've already been active on the stage for many years now, I've never had any kind of formal training. When preparing for a spoken-word performance, it has always just felt natural to me to approach it in a musical way. I've treated each sentence of the text like a melodic phrase, each word like a note. I would then add dynamics as though I were playing the words on an instrument. My hope was that listeners would be able to hear the musicality in my performances and people have told me that they have. I'm sure that classroom training with a theater group is going to be vastly different from the way that I've always done things on instinct, but I'm looking forward to the experience and all that it may inspire. This is one of those things that I've been meaning to do for a long time, but was always too busy. This feels like the right time now. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of good things to come.


Aside from that, I don't have much to report. Life here in NY is pretty cold at the moment and that keeps me home most of the time. I'm happy to see that baseball's spring training is in full swing down in Florida. That let's me know that a warmer season is right around the corner. Have a joyful weekend. Love & light...


"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial,
because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life
that God has promised to those who love him."

~James 1:12

~@~