February 16, 2013

Hail To the Chiefs

Friday morning -- I took the day off from work so that I could attend a very special event at the elementary school. The 2nd Grade class had transformed their cafeteria into a "Hall of Presidents" in honor of Presidents Day. Each of the kids got dressed up like a different American president with a button on the front of their shirt reading "Press Here." As the parents walked around the room, the kids stayed frozen in place like wax figures until their button was pushed. Then, they would come to life and share facts that they learned about their president. The presentation was very well-done and informative. I had no idea that George Washington's teeth were made of Hippopotamus ivory or that Barrack Obama loves to play Scrabble. I made sure that I made a stop at every little president in the room and gave them each a hearty "Thank you, Mr President." I really enjoyed myself at the event and I loved the fact that the kids got so creative with their costumes. It was an inspiring thing to see. We got to meet Thomas Jefferson:



Ulysses S. Grant:



Rough rider, Theodore Roosevelt (great mustache):



Abraham Lincoln:



Ronald Reagan:



And, my daughter, George Washington (that's perhaps the oddest sentence I've ever typed):



As Friday evening rolled around, I headed out to the Conklin Barn to give a poetic cabaret performance. It turned out to be a really fun gig. You can see some of the video footage by clicking HERE. Cheers!




"But when the kindness and love of God
our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things
we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing
of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us
generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified
by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope
of eternal life."

~Titus 3:4-7

~@~