February 9, 2013

Hello Nor'easter!

As I was heading home from work yesterday afternoon, the snow was just beginning to accumulate on the roads. Conditions were already a bit slippery so I drove slowly; the only stop I made was to fill my tank with gasoline. It had been forecast that this storm would last through until Saturday morning and bring with it anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow. Once I reached my house, I was in for the night. Quiet, snowy evenings at home can be very wonderful, so I decided to start it off by trying something new for dinner. Online, I found a recipe for a Smoky Turkey Shepherd's Pie. It came out very good and proved to by just the kind of warming meal that I was craving. After that, I was very happy to fold myself into a blanket on my sofa and have a movie night. I've been enjoying my Netflix account quite a bit. While they don't get the new releases for a long time, they do have a vast catalog of older movies, TV series, and documentaries, many of which I would probably never see otherwise. Lately, I've watched a couple of really interesting animated features that are worth mentioning: "A Cat In Paris" and "The Secret of Kells."




Oh, one other thing that made my night complete -- Jiffy Pop. It had been years since I made one of those on the stove top. The moment that I saw that aluminum foil ball of popcorn start to rise, I was instantly taken back to my youth. I vividly remember making a Jiffy Pop before watching Disney's "101 Dalmatians" with my friends. Yummy!


After a nice night, I awoke to find that this Nor'easter had surpassed all expectations. I looked out of my bay window at three feet of snow with drifts that reached up to six feet. The landscape looked absolutely beautiful. Of course, it has taken me about 4 hours to dig out. I'm probably looking at another movie night, only this time with Advil instead of Jiffy Pop. Ha! Cheers!




"When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom."
 
~Proverbs 11:2

~@~