February 3, 2013

Musical Joys & Star Wars Toys

On Thursday evening, I went out to the elementary school to watch my son perform in the Fourth Grade Concert. He began playing the clarinet in the Fall of 2012 and, over the course of the school year, he's become quite good at it. This concert featured three numbers each by the orchestra, band, and choir. While the program was made up of simple arrangements of songs like "See Saw Serenade" and Beethoven's "Ode to Joy," the overall sound was nice and I cherished it immensely. It had a good feel. I must say that I am so happy to see my son taking an interest in playing music. Music has always been very important to me and I'm glad to see that it is important to him also. I bought him his first guitar about two years ago and tried to teach him, but he wasn't ready for it then. Maybe soon we'll give it another try.




Lately, my son has also been playing a lot of "Angry Birds: Star Wars" on the computer. I guess it got him interested in the story, so he asked me if we could make popcorn and watch the films. Over the last two weekends, we've watched all six episodes of Star Wars (Original Trilogy first, of course). Back in 1977, when I was 9 years old, I saw the first Star Wars movie and it quickly became my favorite thing in the world. I had all of the toys (the dolls, the ships, comic books, posters, bed sheets, etc.). I loved it all. When the Prequel Trilogy came out, I noticed that a new line of the toys had come out and it brought back so many good memories. At that point, I was too old to play with them myself, but I bought a bunch of the dolls anyway and put them in the garage just in case I ever had a son who would be as interested in the movies as I was. My son is now 9 years old. He loves Star Wars. The toys have come out of the garage. Life is good...


"Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and joy are in his dwelling place."

~1 Chronicles 16:27

~@~