March 16, 2013

Paging Dr. Painter...

This past week, I met a very interesting artist in an unexpected place. Every year, my second job sends me to a medical clinic to get a physical evaluation. I've been to dozens of facilities all over Long Island and these annual exams are usually very much the same and quite uneventful. However, my visit to the Mid-Island Medical Center would prove quite a unique experience. 

The first thing that I noticed as I stepped into this doctor's office is that the walls are covered from floor to ceiling with paintings. There were many different styles represented and each piece was signed with "MIR." When my name was finally called, I followed the receptionist down a long corridor lined with more paintings and into an examination room also filled with artwork. "Who is MIR?" I asked her. "That's the doctor. He'll be in to see you in a minute," she replied as she closed the door.



Enter Myles I. Rosenthal, M.D. The moment he walked int the room, I became quite aware of his bubbly personality. He had a bearded, cherub-like face akin to perhaps a younger Santa Claus or maybe a tugboat captain who likes to sing songs of summertime as he sails into port. I couldn't help but smile as he cracked jokes while holding his stethoscope to my back and asking me to breathe deeply. His eyes really lit up when I expressed interest in his artwork. For the 15 minutes that followed, I got a guided tour of his gallery office. He told me how he became interested in painting in 1992 and since then has created nearly 700 pieces. Much like his office, the walls of his home are also covered with artwork and he has run out of places to hang new pieces. He told me about how he had transformed his garage into an art studio where he does all of his painting and where he even learned to make his own frames. Mostly, he told me about the main thing that propels him as a painter -- the fact that his patients like to see the artwork and find his environment soothing. I was lucky to have had my camera with me that morning. When I asked him if I could snap a few photos, he said that I was more than welcome and that I could stay as long as I wanted. I absolutely love unexpected experiences like these. Aside from the times my kids were born, I don't think I ever had a nicer time visiting with a doctor. Cheers!







"Humility and the fear of the LORD
bring wealth and honor and life."

~Proverbs 22:4

~@~