March 9, 2013

Skies of Pure Art

Reporting to a job site at 5AM isn't always the easiest thing to do, especially on snowy mornings like the last few have been, but one of the perks is that I get to see many a glorious sunrise through the office window. A peaceful moment when I get to stand on the deck and watch clouds of pink, red, and orange burst over the horizon really starts my day off right. I took this picture earlier in the week. Isn't it marvelous? 

Also this week, I made another stop off at the Mills Pond House Gallery to check out their current display, Youth Art Showcase 2013. This exhibit features works of art done by students from participating school districts all over Long Island. I really liked many of the pieces that I saw and it always makes me feel good to support the efforts of young artists. The showcase will be on hand through March 15.

Sent
Nicholas Mahan


Pink Lake at Dusk
Amanda Tonelli


Toes
Abigail Frosina


Locket and Pearls
Amanda Jackson


Jar Ocean Landscape
Kristina Le


Girl with Purple Hair
Katherine Pena


The Cat
Sarah Ansman


Sometimes I Like To Pretend I Have a Mustache
Katrina Galvin


King of the Jungle
Dylan Kowalski



As I am writing this post, I have Steven Wilson's latest album "The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories" playing on my iPod. This is absolutely one of his best efforts to date and I don't say that lightly because I pretty much enjoy everything that he releases. This is fantastic. Highly, highly recommended. I also noticed that he'll be giving a concert in April at the Best Buy Theater in New York City. The thing that really amazes me is that the tickets for the show cost all of $23 (I also bought the new album on iTunes for the very affordable price of $7.99). In an age of ridiculous hidden fees and extreme price gouging for everything, I can go to see a live performance by one of the greatest artists of our time for just about the same price that it would cost to go to the movies. That fact is not lost on me and I applaud Steven Wilson; he clearly puts the art before the dollar. Bravo!  


"Hatred stirs up dissension,
but love covers over all wrongs."
 
~Proverbs 10:12

~@~