May 3, 2013

At the Summit and the Showcase

This Wednesday, I had the joy of being able to perform my "Whitman Sampler" program for the students and staff at the Summit School. It was really an excellent experience. The kids were very enthusiastic and the principal told me afterward that they were inspired by what they saw. That made me very happy to hear. I was a little bit nervous going into it because my allergies started acting up on Tuesday evening. I had sniffles and a raspy cough; I was very concerned that my voice wouldn't sound strong, however, the moment that I spoke the first line of poetry, the worry left my mind and I was able to do the show without anyone having any idea that I was under the weather. After my performance, I answered all of the questions that the students had, most of which were about Walt Whitman and poetry, and a few that brought a grin to my face -- Q: How do you get your mustache to stay up like that? A: L'Oreal Hair Putty. I even turned the Q&A session into a bit of an open mic with some of the students sharing their talents. It was very cool.



Now that the Summit show has passed, I can focus all of my attention on the Bare Bone Showcase that I'll be performing in on Monday, May 13. For the last ten weeks, everyone in the class has been working hard toward this performance. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action. If you're interested in attending:


"Dear friends,
if our hearts do not condemn us,
we have confidence before God
and receive from him anything we ask,
because we obey his commands
and do what pleases him."

~1 John 3:21-22

~@~