May 23, 2013

Autobuses, Arts, and Articles

Well, tomorrow is Graduation Day at the University. This past week, my duty was to wash the bus fleet in preparation for the ceremonies. I really like doing outdoor work like this. It feels kinda nice to be able to show up to the job in old clothes and beat up Timberlands. Most of the days were sunny and hot; I even turned the hose on myself a few times, very refreshing. I must say, the fleet is looking spiffy. I've been a part of the last 13 graduations and they are always special. The people always come so dressed up and happy. If seeing a procession of sparkling buses on campus adds to the joy of the day even a little bit, I'm happy with all of the work that I've done.

While on my way home one day during the week, I saw the familiar "Art Exhibit Today: Free Admission" sign in front of the Mills Pond House Gallery, so I stopped in to check out the latest showcase. This time, the works of six artists using many different mediums were on display, my favorites being the mixed media pieces by Nicholas Valentino and the acrylics of Gia Schifano.

Curious Yellow
Nicholas Valentino

Roundabout
Nicholas Valentino

Yellow
Nicholas Valentino

Still Cruisin'
Nicholas Valentino

Ellen's Sunset
Gia Schifano

The Forest
Gia Schifano

Paul's New Orleans
Gia Schifano

Morning on Agawam Pond
Gia Schifano

And speaking of schools, I received a clipping in the mail of an article from the Summit Sun about the performance that I gave. I'm very grateful to them for including me in their newspaper.



Other than that, this will be Memorial Day Weekend! The unofficial beginning of summer. I don't really have any plans for the three days as of yet, but I have set up the first event for the Avant Garden Poetry Amphitheatre. This year, we'll be opening up the festivities on June 22. Good times are on the way. Cheers!

"Finally, all of you,
live in harmony with one another;
be sympathetic,
love as brothers,
be compassionate and humble."

~1 Peter 3:8

~@~