May 28, 2013

Memorial Merriment: Dancing On the Stage, Golfing On the Green, Marching In the Street

Oh, how I love to hear the words "Memorial Day Weekend" -- those three May days that honor the men and women of the armed forces and commence summer festivities in colorful style. There are always so many things to do and places to go. As I got out of bed on Saturday morning, I decided to start things off the right way by whipping up a batch of red, white, and blue pancakes. The kids really enjoyed helping me in the kitchen with the preparations. It was patriotic culinary fun.

Saturday turned out to be a rainy day making outdoor activities undesirable, however, as evening rolled around, we were off to the High School to see my daughter take part in the annual recital for her dance school. I've been going to these recitals for years now and I must say that the dance numbers and musical selections this time were outstanding. The show was titled "Dance Is The Word" and centered around a Grease-theme. Things kicked off in exciting fashion with a medley of Grease songs (which I haven't heard in ages). Another favorite moment for me was a dance done to music from the soundtrack of "Pirates Of the Caribbean." It was intense, the costumes magnificent. Mostly, I really love to see my daughter having fun on the stage. It makes me very happy.







Sunday was much more of a golden day, so we spent the afternoon at a new amusement park called Station Sports Family Fun Center. This place features an 18-hole miniature golf course replete with fountains, waterfalls, and even a cave. I always enjoy a game of putt-putt, though, sadly, I just couldn't seem to sink a hole-in-one. The park also has a western-themed paintball shooting gallery (that was a blast) and a series of batting cages. I didn't realize just how out of practice I've become with the bat. Out of twelve slow softball pitches, I was only able to make solid contact with three or four. With the possibility of a team starting up at work this season, I better get into game shape quickly.








Memorial Day Monday was the most pristine day of them all. Sunny. High 70s. Blue skies with the traces of a few wispy clouds. Just an ideal day for the annual parade. I took a seat on the sidewalk under a shady tree and watched as a procession of veterans, scouts, firefighters, and classic cars rolled by. The people lining the streets cheered and waved flags. It was a feel good type of day. Love & light...




"We know
that we live in him and he in us,
because he has given us
of his Spirit."

~1 John 4:13

~@~