June 29, 2013

Peace In Nature

Well, at this very time next week, I'll be on a summer road trip that will take me through the New England region and as far north as Acadia National Park in Maine. With Acadia's hundreds of miles of winding trails that lead to sights like picturesque mountaintops, secluded lakes, and cliff-lined rocky shores, this is one journey that has got me very excited; both photography and hiking are activities that I love to do. Every picture that I've ever seen of the area has been magnificent and I'm really looking forward to getting out there with my camera.

In order to condition myself for the vast expanses of Acadia, I've been walking everyday at lunchtime through the series of nature trails that Stony Brook University has on its grounds. In the last two weeks, I've come across a few things in the woods that I never expected to see, such as an albino earwig and a round spiderweb (when I say round, I don't mean circular, I mean ball-shaped; spherical). This morning, to keep up with my cardiovascular workouts in nature, I filled my backpack with water bottles and drove over to Sweetbriar Nature Preserve to have a more extensive hike. I encountered lots of box turtles in the wild and quite a few rescued animals that are kept on the premises, which include Screech Owls, Peregrine Falcons, and a few Red-Tailed Hawks. I stayed at Sweetbriar for about two hours. It was beautiful.











Tomorrow, I'm thinking about going to Caleb Smith State Park for an even longer hike. As I usually like to bring a musical instrument with me into the forest, I've already packed an alto recorder in my bag. This weekend, may your joys be as plentiful as the leaves that adorn the trees. Love & light...


"I will speak
of the glorious honor of thy majesty,
and of thy wondrous works."

~Psalm  145:5

~@~