July 30, 2013

The "Maine" Event; Day 5: Bubbles

Wednesday, July 10, 2013: With one more day in Acadia National Park on the itinerary, I decided to get another early start on some of the sights that I had, on the days prior, noticed getting very crowded during the afternoon. I would begin by hiking the roughly three miles of trail that allow one to circumnavigate Jordan Pond. This morning would again be very foggy and it saddened me that I would not be able to view the Bubble Mountains rising over the water as I had seen in many photographs, but I must say that the haze did add to the beauty and mysteriousness of the place. Being that I was venturing out at such an early hour (6:30am), I didn't encounter any other people on the trail, though I did come across quite a bit of wildlife: rabbits, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. I really enjoyed treading the boardwalk that runs through most of the trail and spans the delicate lakeside ecosystem. Another section of the trail requires climbing on the rocky cliff face. It's pretty tricky; every step in uneven and one misplaced foot could send one tumbling into the pond. The mantra at Acadia is "LEAVE NO TRACE" and I'm glad to say that I didn't see as much as a gum wrapper during my entire time in the wild. The park, while heavily visited, remains pristine.














The next sight that I wanted to see is called Bubble Rock, a huge boulder of white granite that seems to teeter precariously on a ledge of the South Bubble Mountain summit. Bubble Rock was dragged to its current location and left behind by receding glaciers during the last ice age. It is a unique feature in that the surrounding terrain of the Bubble Mountains consists entirely of pink granite. While its place on the mountainside might seem dubious, it is actually firmly planted. Everyday, thousands of visitors try their hand at budging the boulder off of its perch, but no one has had any success.


At this point, I would make another loop around the entire park stopping at some of the smaller sights that I had missed on the previous days. Most noteworthy is Little Hunters Beach -- a beach composed not of sand, but of large stones. While probably not a comfortable location for reclining on a towel (it's even difficult to walk on such a surface), this stony bit of coastline was fun to explore.







The very last stop that I would make for the day was to be at Bubble Pond. It proved a beautiful place to sit on a log and reflect on all the wonders I had already seen. It occurred to me that I had only hiked a mere fraction of the many miles of trails that Acadia National Park has to offer. I would be leaving for Boston in the morning, but, as I sat there beside the calm pool, I promised myself that would someday return to Maine with more time to take it all in. Along with the Misty Fjords of Alaska and the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Acadia National Park ranks high among the most beautiful landscapes that I have ever visited.





"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
but a broken spirit drieth the bones."

~Proverbs 17:22

~@~