August 24, 2013

Summer Summations; Vol. 1: Arts & Ecology

Well, this has certainly been a very busy month. It took me quite a while to type up the memoirs and sort through all of the photographs from the Maine trip, after which I did quite a lot of things -- some great barbeques, pool parties, a garage sale, house painting, a few movies, several day trips, and more of the like. It's been a pretty fulfilling time. In sad news, my 18-year-old cat, Cayenne, needed to be put to sleep after he developed kidney failure last week. When he didn't eat for two days, scarcely moving from his spot in the bathtub, I knew that I was going to have to make that terrible trip to the vet's office once again. There's been a mellow atmosphere in the house ever since.

One of the highlights of this August came on a bright Saturday when I went to the Holtsville Ecology Park. The place features a wildlife preserve that houses over 100 rescued animals that, for varied reasons, can't be released back into the wild. Among these are American eagles, bears, peafowl, bobcats, and red foxes. The grounds are ornamented with several huge bird houses (well, more like bird condominiums) and also on the premises is a big greenhouse.











Another day brought me to the Mills Pond Gallery again for an exhibit called "An Artist's Work Is Never Done." This one showcases a pair of paintings by each artist (one old, one recent) to illustrate how the artwork changed over time through mediums, styles, and approaches. I had a few immediate favorites. Very interesting.

September, 1976
Daniel Van Benthuysen

Bell Tower On Main Street
Daniel Van Benthuysen

Pond View I
Patricia Yantz

Pond View II
Patricia Yantz

At the Playground 4
Lisa Petker-Mintz

Belmont IV
Lisa Petker-Mintz

Bodies of Music
Liz Parks

3=!
Liz Parks

One other thing that I saw recently that I really enjoyed was a display of tin toys at the Sachem Library. These pieces of memorabilia date back as far as the 1940s and 50s. I very much like this sort of thing. Cheers!




"Peacemakers who sow in peace
reap a harvest
of righteousness."

~James 3:18

~@~