August 31, 2013

Summer Summations; Vol. 2: Stony Brook Sunday

On one very beautiful Sunday afternoon in early August, I took a drive into Stony Brook to visit the Long Island Museum which reopened in April after having extensive renovations done to their carriage museum. While I've been to the museum in the past, I was very excited to see how the updated settings would look. Globed lamp posts glowing on cobbled street corners. The soothing reports of horses' hooves clacking in the background. Fire carriages arriving at the scene of a building with faux flames bursting from a second-story window. It's a delightful and refreshing atmosphere that definitely has some newly-acquired theatrical flair. In the complex's outdoor herb garden, the music of running water from the Beaux-Arts Fountain filled my ears as I tried to read the time off of the central sundial. Also on the premises, I visited the Samuel H. West Blacksmith Shop, the Nassakeag One-Room Schoolhouse, and the Art Gallery. The exhibit currently on display shows memorabilia from Coney Island (consider this a little prognostication of what I'll talk about when I finally get around to writing "Summer Summations; Vol. 3").











From the Long Island Museum, I drove a few blocks to the Avalon Nature Preserve where I took a two-hour walk on the various trails. I really enjoyed the view of the spring-fed pond and all of its water fowl and I also rested for a while on some rocks deep in the woods to have lunch. Nice moment.





Directly across from the street from the Avalon Preserve is the Stony Brook Grist Mill which is open for touring. From water wheel to grindstone to A-frame loft, I learned all about the things that make the place operate. Built in 1699, it blows my mind to think that this place was grinding flour before George Washington was born. Great way to spend a summer day. Cheers!









"For the wages of sin is death,
but the gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."

~Romans 6:23

~@~