August 3, 2013

The "Maine" Event; Day 6: Freedom Trail

Thursday, July 11, 2013: I departed the hotel in Maine at roughly 4:00am to make the long drive south to Boston. After stopping to have breakfast and get fuel, I ended up making it there at around 10:00, though it would take quite a bit longer to make my way through town and park the car.

It felt great to finally get out of the car and stretch my legs at the first destination: The New England Aquarium. In this wonderland of all things aquatic, I had close encounters with penguins, jellyfish, sharks, piranha, stingrays, and a very unique marine animal called the Chambered Nautilus. I always marvel at the beauty and vibrancy of the tanks in a well-maintained aquarium and the one in Boston is exceptional. I especially love the central tank that can be viewed at all different levels on a spiraling ramp. The sea turtles in it are tremendous.










Just across the street from the Aquarium is Quincy Market, a pedestrian mall type of area filled with great shops and eateries. This part of town is always bustling with shoppers, tourists, and street performers, an excellent location to pass some time. It was here that I sampled some famous Boston "Chowda."





In front of Faneuil Hall, I was able to pick up the Freedom Trail. More that just a red line on a map, this is an actual line (sometimes brick, sometimes painted) that runs through the streets of Colonial Boston. 





I walked the Freedom Trail with arms outstretched at my sides like a Olympic gymnast on a wooden beam. It brought me to notable sites such as --

Old State House:









Kings Chapel:







Granary Burial Ground:





Old Meeting House:





"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid."

~John 14:27

~@~