August 10, 2013

The "Maine" Event; Day 8: Homeward Bound

Saturday, July 13, 2013: As I left Boston and headed for the ferry docks in Connecticut, I was happy that I would still have one last place to enjoy for about an hour and a half before the boat would set sail. When in the Mystic area, I always like to stroll through Olde Mistick Village. As I took in this quaint shopping center (with its duck ponds, grist mill, and rolling paths), I reflected on all of my adventures of last eight days. I had seen Salem with its witch history and its House of the Seven Gables. I had seen the Peabody Essex Museum and walked through an ancient Chinese home. I had hiked to the tops of two mountains and looked out over a vast Maine landscape. I had climbed the rocks of a rugged coastline, followed a babbling stream, and looked out over a misty pond. I had eaten lobster in Maine and clam chowder in Boston. I had seen Fenway Park from 749 feet in the air. I had walked the Freedom Trail and stood in the center of an old world map. I had experienced New England to the fullest.


One store that I always seek out when in Olde Mistick Village is called "Silk Road Imports." As I paced through the aisles of sparkling trinkets from around the globe, my mind kept creeping back to the impending ferry ride. I began to wonder where the next road trip might take me. On a hike on the Appalachian Trail? To a minor league baseball game in Scranton? For a swim in Lake Minnewaska? Hmm...






"Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads
to life, and only a few find it."

~Matthew 7:13-14

~@~