April 21, 2014

Hoyt Farm Park

Upon pulling my car into the parking lot of Hoyt Farm Park, the first thing that I noticed was the rolling green fields dotted with people sitting on lawn chairs and blankets; mixed among these, the occasional tossing of a football or Frisbee. On a distant hill, the American flag fluttered in the breeze, its pole flanked by a pair of old cannons with wooden-spoked wheels. On the far side of the field, I could make out two lively playgrounds and several rows of picnic tables and barbeque grills. It was an ideal setting for a sunny Spring Saturday. I've also heard that live bands play in the picnic area during the summertime and it is a very active scene.

I would soon find out that Hoyt Farm Park has much more to offer than just grassy fields. As I stepped on to the path that leads from the open area into the woods, the first thing that I encountered was the one-room school house. It looked lovely with its red paint glowing in the afternoon sun. Soon after, I came across a Native American Wigwam and a Hummingbird Garden with a babbling waterfall. Just beyond this stretched a grazing area and a series of pens for farm animals: cows, chickens, rabbits, goats, and turkeys. This part of the park also contains a Nature Center and a Museum, both of which were not yet open for the 2014 season.






At the very rear of the park waits the mouth of a nature trail that meanders through a Pine Barrens Ecosystem. As I trod the path, I was surrounded by Scrub Oaks and Pine Trees. I would eventually stumble across an apple orchard and a hidden pond replete with wild fowl and lounging turtles. 





I found Hoyt Farm to be as peaceful and charming a place as I could ever hope to visit. I would spend the rest of the afternoon in the picnic area, content to watch the children racing by on their scooters. At this point, I would also like to say that I hope you had a most beautiful Easter Sunday! Cheers!

"For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life."

~John 3:16

~@~