April 28, 2014

Zig Zag Gig Bag

On Friday night, I attended a free concert from the Do-Ing Music series at the library. The performers for the evening were to be the Zig Zag Quartet. I had seen a poster for the event during a previous library visit that explained that the program would zig zag through musical styles from different parts of the globe at varying time periods, hence the group's name. The World Music genre is a huge interest to me, so I marked this one down on my calendar right away. 

Friday's show included pieces of music from Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Argentina, England, and the US and wound through styles such as Samba, Blues, Calypso, Tango, as well as a few pieces by some modern composers. The group had an excellent blend of piano, guitar, bass, and percussion. I was particularly fascinated by the percussion, which featured instruments like Cajon and Bodhran. I have grown very fond of the sounds of hand drums and to hear them played so well was a big treat. It was an excellent performance overall; the only drawback being that the library closed before the group could finish their entire set list. 




One other thing that I did this past week was to stop at the Mills Pond House Gallery to see their Annual Photography Exhibition. There were many processes of photography represented, some of which were new to me. Included among these were: Kallitype, Gold-Toned Argyrotype, Wet Plate Collodian, and Photo Intaglio. There were many beautiful images and I found it all very inspiring. 


"Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us,
we have confidence before God and receive from him
anything we ask, because we obey his commands
and do what pleases him."

~1 John 3:21-22

~@~