June 15, 2014

Yay for Dads!

Happy Father's Day! To me, being a father is just about the most wonderful thing in life. Of all the hats that I wear from day to day -- husband, son, friend, employee, co-worker, writer, performance artist, musician, blogger, gardener, adventurer, etc. -- being called "Daddy" by my children trumps them all. In my eyes, the happiness of my kids far outweighs my own and it means everything. To see my son and daughter doing well is truly a blessing and I thank God for the privilege. It is because of them and the love that we share that this day is special for me. So, Dads, enjoy your barbeques and your breakfasts in bed, your trips to the beach, your hand-made cards, your new tie and after shave lotion, your afternoon relaxing in the lounge chair with the iced tea in the cup holder and the ball game on the radio. Enjoy it all. Yay Dads!

Well, thus far, late-Spring in NY has been made up of a series of rainy weeks with sunny weekends. Last week was no different, so, in order to enjoy the warmth, I took my kids for a ride over to Adventureland on Saturday morning. We went on a few rides, played Skeeball in the arcade, and had some snacks. My kids each won a slide whistle; I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess what the soundtrack of the day must have been like. Woo hoo!




In the afternoon, we headed over to Caumsett State Historic Park on Lloyd Harbor, a peninsula that juts out into the Long Island Sound. The park is English estate with European-inspired cottages, bathhouses, and a mansion. The grounds also feature polo stables with lots of horses, a walled garden, and a 3-mile paved loop through thick woods that is frequented by bicyclists and joggers. About halfway around the loop, an earthen path meanders off to a hill that gives an amazing vista of a fresh water pond and continues down the slope to a rocky beach. It is a beautiful, pastoral scene.








One other thing that we did this weekend was to go to the schoolyard to fly our kites. I once again took out the Red Baron, along with a few others that I have picked up in my travels. I love the sight of a kite when it is in flight high in the air, its tail stretched out on the breeze. It's very graceful. Cheers!




"My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline,
    and do not resent his rebuke,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
    as a father the son he delights in."

~Proverbs 3:11-12

~@~