August 14, 2014

Free Week: Chair, Coat Rack, and More...

Well, I had last week off from work. I didn't have any road trips planned, so this was more of a stay-cation, though the days were quite full anyway. First off, I tackled a few projects. I refinished two pieces of antique furniture (a chair and a coat rack) that someone had painted over at some point in time. It was a bit of a messy job (stripping, sanding, staining, and applying the polyurethane), but I'm pretty happy with the way the pieces came out. I'm probably going to use the chair when I perform on the classical guitar. It definitely has the proper look.

Last Saturday kicked the week off with my street's annual Block Party. The block was closed off from end to end and all of the cars taken off the road. Instead of the normal daily traffic, for this day, my street had a jazz band, a water slide, cotton candy and Italian Ice stands, a DJ spinning songs from the 80s, at one point a fire truck paid a visit allowing the kids to spray the hose. It's so much fun seeing my same street in a completely different light. The party started at 11:00 AM with bagels at one of the houses. It was raining hard at that point and I wasn't sure if the party would have to be cancelled, but it quickly cleared up into a beautiful day. As it is a pretty long road, I also got to know a few neighbors that I hadn't met yet. Now, when they see me in my front yard, they stop to say "Hello." It's nice.




Wednesday evening was my town's annual Fireman's Parade and Fair. We always like to walk up to the main street to watch the fire engines and the marching bands go by. Saturday was the annual Jack Kerouac Poetry Softball game. I never miss an opportunity to lace up my cleats and play a few innings. It was a really fun game this year.





My week off from work came to a climax on Saturday night when saw a free concert at Heckscher Park on the band shell. It was the Long Island Philharmonic performing a program called "Music Under the Stars." This concert included a pair of selections that featured the playing of an instrument called the "musical saw" (literally a saw played with a bow) and many intense pieces of music by composers such as Gounod, Tchaikovsky, and Dvorak. It was a spectacular evening and I really enjoyed sitting on my blanket listening to the music. Very inspiring.



"And we, who with unveiled faces
all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed
into his likeness with ever-increasing glory,
which comes from the Lord,
who is the Spirit."

~2 Corinthians 3:18

~@~