September 30, 2014

Walking With the Arts

This past Sunday, I attended the 2014 Northport Artwalk, which is brought to us annually by the Northport Arts Coalition and the Northport Historical Society. For one day out of every year, the tiny shops and restaurants of this harbor village become art galleries showcasing the works of many local artists and photographers. It is a wonderful environment with plenty of patrons and pedestrians strolling through town while being serenaded by the musicians who are set up and playing on most of the sidewalks and street corners. I always enjoy this day very much. This year, I discovered that I knew several of the artists whose pieces were being shown, quite a few of whom live in Northport and also use scenes from the town as inspiration for their works. I saw many representations of the familiar pier, as well as quite a few depictions of the well-known building facades and waterfront. I had quite a few good conversations about the arts during my jaunt down Main Street. The Artwalk concluded at coffee house and poetry hot spot, the Caffe Portofino, a place that I've been to many times. It was a beautiful day. A great day for enjoying the arts.







Recently, the town of East Northport also hosted their annual street fair. It was interesting to see the baseball fields where I once played Little League baseball taken over by carnival rides and food vendors.



With tomorrow being the 1st of October, I took the family to pick a few pumpkins and gourds at the local farm stand. I got a small, oblong one which I'm hoping to paint with the famous scream face from the Edvard Munch painting. Perhaps I'll get to it next weekend. Cheers!


"My soul yearns for you in the night;
in the morning my spirit longs for you.
When your judgments come upon the earth,
the people of the world
learn righteousness."
 
~Isaiah 26:9

~@~