October 5, 2014

Pinks & Blues

Well, I haven't done very much this past week. I took my kids to the movies to see "Box Trolls." It was pretty good and definitely had the right tone for the Hallowe'en season. I'm also very happy to see that Pink Ribbon Bagels are back for the month of October at Panera Bread. These are so delicious and the proceeds go toward breast cancer awareness. Now, in the past, I've given to many cancer charities and taken part in quite a few fund-raising walks, but I have to say that I now have some reservations about giving to such causes. I've actually heard doctors who have said that the medical industry will never allow anyone to find a cure because cancer is big business. They rake in billions of dollars from charities for research while giving sick people false hope and expensive radiation treatments. I've also heard that doctors who have come up with effective treatments for cancer in the past have had their reputations destroyed wrongfully and their lives ruined. Big business indeed. There are many who accuse the medical industry of playing God, however, as I see it, allowing people to die for profit has nothing to do with God. It is clearly the devil's work. So, I'd like to know, to what are we really donating our time and money? I will give generously to charities if I know that innocent folks are being helped, but I refuse to contribute a single penny to keep the greedy rich. Nothing makes me quite as angry as when evildoers try to take advantage of the good natures of others. If this is all true, that is one cash cow that I would happily drag to the abattoir.

Anyway, I had one really nice moment while on a lunch break from work this week. It was a rainy day, so I drove to the 7-11 to get a Pumpkin Spice coffee. With cup in hand, I then drove down to the marina to sit in my car beside the water and listen to Joe Bonamassa's latest CD "Different Shades of Blue," which I had just bought, but hadn't listened to yet. Wow! The combination of the taste of pumpkin spice on my tongue, the sight of rain falling on the marsh waters, and the sound of Bonamassa's Blues on the radio mixed into one magical moment. It was a beautiful lunch break and completely unexpected. Cheers!


"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them
from the hand of the wicked."

~Psalm 82:3-4 

~@~