November 24, 2014

A Musical Saturday

Saturday, November 15: This very musical day started off at 8:30 AM at the High School where my daughter was selected to take part in a program brought to us by the Suffolk County Music Educators' Association called PEAK, which stands for "Parents, Educators, and Kids." The program offered a unique opportunity for a parent to engage in music classes alongside their child. My daughter and I walked from classroom to classroom for a series of 40-minute courses which included Singing Games, Ukulele, Chorus, Boom Whackers, Folk Dance, and Musical Theatre. The event ran until the afternoon and culminated with a performance on the stage. My daughter liked the Singing Games the most. As I always like to try different instruments, I really got a kick out of playing the Boom Whackers. It was an enjoyable day.

The day's musicality continued into the evening at a concert venue called the Space. After convincing me to go, my good friend Marquis had brought for me a ticket to see Steve Hackett in concert on his "Genesis Extended" Tour. I must explain that, in my youth, I had missed the boat on Genesis. By the time I was in Middle School and was really getting into music, Genesis had already become an MTV pop band and didn't interest me all that much. I was completely unaware of their progressive rock beginnings in the 70s. When Marquis got the tickets, I decided to download "Wind and Wuthering" from iTunes, just to familiarize myself with some of the songs that I might hear at the concert. I clicked on the "Play" button for the first time and KAPOW! I instantly knew why early Genesis is so special. That album was all I listened to for about two straight months. Since then, I've explored many of the early Genesis albums and the music is just marvelous! So, on Saturday, November 15, I got to see Steve Hackett play an amazing concert. The only drawback was that the venue cranked the volume to an unnecessarily uncomfortable level, but the band sounded fantastic and played many of the great classics that I now adore. Fun night!







"Give, and it will be given to you.
A good measure, pressed down, shaken together
and running over, will be poured into your lap.
For with the measure you use,
it will be measured to you."

~Luke  6:38

~@~